getting a crayfish tomorrow and have a question

  • erikaandnewton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2007
      Long story short, I agreed to give a home to a crayfish that is being
      booted out for being a crayfish. I'd like to set the tank up in my
      upstairs room, but in the summer the temperature is close to 80, is
      this too warm for what I'm told is a blue crayfish?

      Thanks!

      erika,
      wilmington de, usa
    • Enrique Aniceto
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
        No too bad. But, what's the water capacity of your tank?
        The more water, the better.
        And would it have aeration? an air pump?

        Good luck!

        >From: "erikaandnewton" <emcisme@...>
        >To: crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au
        >Subject: [crayfishworldaccessgroup] getting a crayfish tomorrow and have a
        >question
        >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:11:29 -0000
        >
        >Long story short, I agreed to give a home to a crayfish that is being
        >booted out for being a crayfish. I'd like to set the tank up in my
        >upstairs room, but in the summer the temperature is close to 80, is
        >this too warm for what I'm told is a blue crayfish?
        >
        >Thanks!
        >
        >erika,
        >wilmington de, usa

      • erikaandnewton
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
          Its a ten gallon. The temperature actually got up close to 90
          yesterday so I opted for putting the tank down stairs. Course that
          leads to the dilemma of now needing a stand. Why is it every other
          time, used ten gallon stands are a dime a dozen, now that I need one,
          there are none to be found?
          I have a whisper J filter running, do I need to give him an air stone?
          One web site I saw mentioned full spectrum lighting, is this for his
          health or to make him look prettier? He's pretty cool, and ballsy. He
          has no hesitation making a move toward something he sees as a threat
          (my hand fixing a plant or the dogs on the other side of the glass!)
          Now to figure out what kind of crayfish I have!

          Thanks,
          erika-wilmington,de-usa

          --- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "Enrique Aniceto"
          <acocil@...> wrote:

          > No too bad. But, what's the water capacity of your tank?
          > The more water, the better.
          > And would it have aeration? an air pump?
          >
          > Good luck!
          >
          > >From: "erikaandnewton" <emcisme@...>
          > >To: crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au
          > >Subject: [crayfishworldaccessgroup] getting a crayfish tomorrow
          and have a
          > >question
          > >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:11:29 -0000
          > >
          > >Long story short, I agreed to give a home to a crayfish that is
          being
          > >booted out for being a crayfish. I'd like to set the tank up in my
          > >upstairs room, but in the summer the temperature is close to 80, is
          > >this too warm for what I'm told is a blue crayfish?
          > >
          > >Thanks!
          > >
          > >erika,
          > >wilmington de, usa

          > Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only
          on MSN
          > http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm

        • Enrique Aniceto
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
            well, if you have access to a digital camera, take a pic or two and send it.
            Perhaps I could narrowed it down if I see it.

            The ligth is good if you have aquatic plant, which the crayfish will benefit
            from.
            Airstones are good, but make sure there is no way the crayfish could climb
            up and exit the tank.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
              I actually just took some pictures of him, his former owner wants to
              know how he's doing. Do I put them in the photos section or just
              attach them to my e-mail?
              So he doesn't need the light, but he'd like some plkants and they
              need the light, 'kay, I'll get him some plants when I go pick up some
              guppies for him.
              I already covered the openings in the lid of his tank with plastic
              mesh. the tube will run right through it.

              erika-wilminton,de-usa

              <acocil@...> wrote:

              > well, if you have access to a digital camera, take a pic or two and
              send it.
              > Perhaps I could narrowed it down if I see it.
              >
              > The ligth is good if you have aquatic plant, which the crayfish
              will benefit
              > from.
              > Airstones are good, but make sure there is no way the crayfish
              could climb
              > up and exit the tank.
              >

              > >From: "erikaandnewton" <emcisme@...>
              > >To: crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au
              > >Subject: [crayfishworldaccessgroup] Re: getting a crayfish
              tomorrow and
              > >have a question-got him
              > >Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:31:59 -0000
              > >
              > >Its a ten gallon. The temperature actually got up close to 90
              > >yesterday so I opted for putting the tank down stairs. Course that
              > >leads to the dilemma of now needing a stand. Why is it every other
              > >time, used ten gallon stands are a dime a dozen, now that I need
              one,
              > >there are none to be found?
              > >I have a whisper J filter running, do I need to give him an air
              stone?
              > >One web site I saw mentioned full spectrum lighting, is this for
              his
              > >health or to make him look prettier? He's pretty cool, and ballsy.
              He
              > >has no hesitation making a move toward something he sees as a
              threat
              > >(my hand fixing a plant or the dogs on the other side of the
              glass!)
              > >Now to figure out what kind of crayfish I have!
              > >
              > >Thanks,
              > >erika-wilmington,de-usa

            • melvin character
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2007
                hey buddy,if it looks blue its blue.
                i know there is different variations of blue but blue is still blue.
                asttach them to your email so its recieved.
                i hope your happy with the crayfish eating your pond plants as it
                will but its a perfectly acceptable source of food for it as crayfish
                eaty mainly that.guppies are just a food source for it to eat if it
                can catch them,maybe while thier sleeping at night ;) and with the
                light,it can only get bluer as it sheds it shell each time..im sure
                everyone interested on this site will be happy to view your photo's
                of your crayfish an give their opinion's to what species it is an how
                to look after it.thats what this site is for.

                --- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "erikaandnewton"
                <emcisme@...> wrote:

                > I actually just took some pictures of him, his former owner wants
                > know how he's doing. Do I put them in the photos section or just
                > attach them to my e-mail?
                > So he doesn't need the light, but he'd like some plkants and they
                > need the light, 'kay, I'll get him some plants when I go pick up
                some
                > guppies for him.
                > I already covered the openings in the lid of his tank with plastic
                > mesh. the tube will run right through it.
                >
                > erika-wilminton,de-usa
                >

                > -- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "Enrique
                Aniceto"
                > <acocil@> wrote:
                > >
                > > well, if you have access to a digital camera, take a pic or two
                and
                > send it.
                > > Perhaps I could narrowed it down if I see it.
                > >
                > > The ligth is good if you have aquatic plant, which the crayfish
                > will benefit
                > > from.
                > > Airstones are good, but make sure there is no way the crayfish
                > could climb
                > > up and exit the tank.
                > >

                > > >From: "erikaandnewton" <emcisme@>
                > > >To: crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au
                > > >Subject: [crayfishworldaccessgroup] Re: getting a crayfish
                > tomorrow and
                > > >have a question-got him
                > > >Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:31:59 -0000
                > > >
                > > >Its a ten gallon. The temperature actually got up close to 90
                > > >yesterday so I opted for putting the tank down stairs. Course
                that
                > > >leads to the dilemma of now needing a stand. Why is it every
                other
                > > >time, used ten gallon stands are a dime a dozen, now that I need
                > one,
                > > >there are none to be found?
                > > >I have a whisper J filter running, do I need to give him an air
                > stone?
                > > >One web site I saw mentioned full spectrum lighting, is this for
                > his
                > > >health or to make him look prettier? He's pretty cool, and
                ballsy.
                > He
                > > >has no hesitation making a move toward something he sees as a
                > threat
                > > >(my hand fixing a plant or the dogs on the other side of the
                > glass!)
                > > >Now to figure out what kind of crayfish I have!
                > > >
                > > >Thanks,
                > > >erika-wilmington,de-usa

              • erikaandnewton
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
                  I'm o.k. with him eating the plants, its all about making him happy,
                  guppies too. he's proving quite useful in getting rid of sickly
                  guppies from my frog tank (I move the guppies to him) soon as I get
                  the pictures put onto disk (as I have not mastered downloading right
                  from my camera) i'll post some.
                  Thanks!

                  erika-wilmington,de-usa

                  --- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "melvin
                  character" <klowncollage@...> wrote:

                  > hey buddy,if it looks blue its blue.
                  > i know there is different variations of blue but blue is still
                  blue.
                  > asttach them to your email so its recieved.
                  > i hope your happy with the crayfish eating your pond plants as it
                  > will but its a perfectly acceptable source of food for it as
                  crayfish
                  > eaty mainly that.guppies are just a food source for it to eat if it
                  > can catch them,maybe while thier sleeping at night ;) and with the
                  > light,it can only get bluer as it sheds it shell each time..im sure
                  > everyone interested on this site will be happy to view your photo's
                  > of your crayfish an give their opinion's to what species it is an
                  how
                  > to look after it.thats what this site is for.
                  >
                  > --- In
                  crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "erikaandnewton"
                  > <emcisme@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I actually just took some pictures of him, his former owner wants
                  > > know how he's doing. Do I put them in the photos section or just
                  > > attach them to my e-mail?
                  > > So he doesn't need the light, but he'd like some plkants and they
                  > > need the light, 'kay, I'll get him some plants when I go pick up
                  > some
                  > > guppies for him.
                  > > I already covered the openings in the lid of his tank with
                  plastic
                  > > mesh. the tube will run right through it.
                  > >
                  > > erika-wilminton,de-usa
                  > >

                  > > -- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "Enrique
                  > Aniceto"
                  > > <acocil@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > well, if you have access to a digital camera, take a pic or two
                  > and
                  > > send it.
                  > > > Perhaps I could narrowed it down if I see it.
                  > > >
                  > > > The ligth is good if you have aquatic plant, which the crayfish
                  > > will benefit
                  > > > from.
                  > > > Airstones are good, but make sure there is no way the crayfish
                  > > could climb
                  > > > up and exit the tank.

                  > > tomorrow and

                  > that
                  > other
                  > > one,
                  > > stone?
                  > > his
                  > ballsy.
                  > > He
                  > > threat
                  > > glass!)

                • regina644
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
                    --- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "erikaandnewton" <emcisme@...> wrote:

                    > Its a ten gallon. The temperature actually got up close to 90
                    > yesterday so I opted for putting the tank down stairs. Course that
                    > leads to the dilemma of now needing a stand. Why is it every other
                    > time, used ten gallon stands are a dime a dozen, now that I need one,
                    > there are none to be found?
                    > I have a whisper J filter running, do I need to give him an air stone?
                    > One web site I saw mentioned full spectrum lighting, is this for his
                    > health or to make him look prettier? He's pretty cool, and ballsy. He
                    > has no hesitation making a move toward something he sees as a threat
                    > (my hand fixing a plant or the dogs on the other side of the glass!)
                    > Now to figure out what kind of crayfish I have!
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > erika-wilmington,de-usa
                    >
                    > --- In crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au, "Enrique Aniceto"
                    > <acocil@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > No too bad. But, what's the water capacity of your tank?
                    > > The more water, the better.
                    > > And would it have aeration? an air pump?
                    > >
                    > > Good luck!
                    > >
                    > > >From: "erikaandnewton" <emcisme@>
                    > > >To: crayfishworldaccessgroup@yahoogroups.com.au
                    > > >Subject: [crayfishworldaccessgroup] getting a crayfish tomorrow
                    > and have a
                    > > >question
                    > > >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:11:29 -0000
                    > > >
                    > > >Long story short, I agreed to give a home to a crayfish that is
                    > being
                    > > >booted out for being a crayfish. I'd like to set the tank up in my
                    > > >upstairs room, but in the summer the temperature is close to 80, is
                    > > >this too warm for what I'm told is a blue crayfish?
                    > > >
                    > > >Thanks!
                    > > >
                    > > >erika,
                    > > >wilmington de, usa

                    > > Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only
                    > on MSN
                    > > http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm

                    hi i have a orange tip female with babies i can not find any info on how to take care of them can someone help me?