7 month update

  • Patrice
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2008
      Hi all,
      I thought it was about time I posted an update. Romany is now standing
      and walking around furniture, most of the time he is flat-footed which
      is really promising! Haven't had much sleep lately with him cutting two
      teeth at a time..but you get that. I'm just so pleased he is standing
      so no complaints. Hey M'Liss can you tell me if it is standard practise
      over there to have x rays done? I kind off wish that I had thought of
      it earlier so as to compare the results know. Patrice
    • MLiss Daigle
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2008
        Hi Patrice,
        I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing.  That is great that Romany is pulling up and flat-footed.  Does his back heel bone feel down with the bottom part out?  This was always a huge milestone with the french method because they start using their own weight and gravity to assist in pushing the heel down.

        Here, x-rays are only done as part of a study comparing Ponsetti to French Method at 2yo (I think this is the age).  They are thought not to provide any useful info. since the ligaments, tendons, and muscles are the involved tissues.

        Congratulations!!
        M'Liss

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2008
          Hi M'Liss,
          Thanks so much for your encouragement certainly feels like a mile
          stone! How are your girls getting on? Patrice

          --- In nzclubfoot@yahoogroups.com.au, MLiss Daigle <m_daigle@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2008

            Hi Patrice,

            Thank you for asking about the girls, I do have alot to brag about right now, and I am not sure where I left off.  Meg, my 6yo, saw the ortho surg. and is no longer considered a surgical candidate.  On her left foot she has 7-8 degrees of dorsiflexion and on her right (the tighter foot) she has 6-7 (normal is 10).  She is putting her left heel down when she walks about 40% of the time and about 20% of the time on the right.  Morgan, my 3yo, turns out her outer muscles were weaker than Meg's and she had 3 degrees of dorsiflexion on the left and 0 on the right, but after a few short weeks, she has about 5 degrees of dorsiflexion on both feet and her evertor (outer leg muscles) are still weak on the left, but getting stronger and much stronger on the right.  With clubfeet, the outer muscles are just inherently weaker and my girls started with stiff feet.  I wish we had been exercising them all along instead of letting nature take its' course.  The ortho surgeon was so happy with their feet that he took pictures of them performing yoga poses.  Meg's heel bone used to stick out very prominently on both feet, and now her feet look almost normal, like there was nothing ever wrong.

            Morgan's biggest issue is that she is 3 and she doesn't always want to do the exercises and we have to come up with fun ways to get them done.  If she doesn't do them, after she is asleep I exercise her feet and stimulate her outer muscles by running my finger along the outer side of her foot and she pulls her foot up in response.  You probably are, but if not, you can do this exercise now with Romany to help strengthen and keep his muscles strong (by the way, he should respond when awake).  I did this on both girls as a baby, but had stopped when they started walking.

            Thanks again for asking about the girls, they have made such great progress in a short amount of time that we are very hopeful to avoid surgery completely.

            Have a great day!

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008
              Hi M'liss

              WOW!!! You are so inspiring. What amazing results. It's so good to
              know that the physio method can achieve these results in young
              children too and not just babies.
              I do the stroking of Romany's outer foot,as well as under his toes,
              my osteo said that it helps with toe grip.I'v started weening him out
              of the tape,is this best done at night or day? I started leaving it
              off at night?
              You keep up the great work,Patrice

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008

                Hi Patrice,

                Thanks for the encouraging words.  That is great that you are stimulating that outer muscle, I have learned it is a very important exercise.

                Here, they are left in tape at night and weaned out of it during the day, it is thought that during the day they are more apt to break through the tape (it won't hold the foot in place) once they are cruising (walking around holding on to objects/furniture) and, at night, the foot at rest is held in the corrected position because if not, they tend to straigten the foot and turn it in instead of working hard to keep it in the corrected position.

                I hope this is helpful.  Keep up the great work!

                Message ----

              • patrice