2017 VKFF Activation Weekend

  • vk5pas
    Message 1 of 16 , 30 Jan

      Hi all,

      The 2017 VKFF Activation Weekend will be held on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th November 2017.

      If you do intend to activate a park that weekend, please drop me a quick email with your intentions, so I can place the details on the activator spreadsheet.

      73 and '44',

      Paul VK5PAS
      vk5pas@...
      VKFF co-ordinator

    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 16 , 19 Mar
        On 31 Jan 2017 03:30:29 +0000
        "simmopa@... [wwffaustralia]"
        <wwffaustralia@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >

        > The 2017 VKFF Activation Weekend will be held on Saturday 25th and
        > Sunday 26th November 2017.
        >
        > If you do intend to activate a park that weekend, please drop me a
        > quick email with your intentions, so I can place the details on the
        > activator spreadsheet.
        >
        > 73 and '44',
        >

        > Paul VK5PAS
        > vk5pas@...
        > VKFF co-ordinator

        Just planning now for Friday, Saturday and Sunday off work, then to
        make a plan to find some unheard parks for the weekend activity.

        Liz
        VK2XSE
      • vk5pas
        Message 3 of 16 , 28 Sep

          A reminder about the upcoming VKFF Activation Weekend on Saturday 25th November 2017 and Sunday the 26th November 2017.

          This is NOT a contest. It is a weekend to promote the World Wide Flora Fauna (WWFF) program in Australia.

          Head out to your favourite park/s on either Saturday and/or Sunday and enjoy the fun of the weekend.

          If you intend to activate a park that weekend, please drop me an email so I can add your activation/s to the list.

          I will continue to update the participation list here in the Files secion, also on Facebook, and the WWFF Australia website.

          73 and '44',

          Paul VK5PAS
          VKFF co-ordinator

        • Liz
          Message 4 of 16 , 24 Oct
            On 31 Jan 2017 03:30:29 +0000
            "simmopa@... [wwffaustralia]"
            <wwffaustralia@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >

            > The 2017 VKFF Activation Weekend will be held on Saturday 25th and
            > Sunday 26th November 2017.
            >
            > If you do intend to activate a park that weekend, please drop me a
            > quick email with your intentions, so I can place the details on the
            > activator spreadsheet.
            >
            > 73 and '44',
            >

            > Paul VK5PAS
            > vk5pas@...
            > VKFF co-ordinator

            So far, I have camping approval for one remote park which has never
            been activated.
            The other park I asked for camping approval has "access issues" which
            we understand means you physically can't get in. So now I am looking
            for another site for another night camping and playing radios.
            When I've got the itinerary finalised I'll advise for the spreadsheet.

            Liz
            VK2XSE
          • vk5pas
            Message 5 of 16 , 24 Oct
              OK many thanks Liz.
            • vk5pas
              Message 6 of 16 , 25 Oct
                G'day all,

                So far 13 activators from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, & VK6 have registered to take part in the 2017 VKFF Activation Weekend to be held on.....

                Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th November 2017.

                To date, a total of 24 different parks will be put on air.

                If you do intend to activate a park that weekend, please drop me a quick email, so I can place your details down on the list.

                73 and '44',

                Paul VK5PAS
                VKFF co-ordinator

              • Bob Bristow
                Message 7 of 16 , 25 Oct
                  Hi Paul

                  is there a body of text somewhere about this activity that can be put into a news programme to promote this activity?

                  It's fine promoting it in this email list, however it's sort of preaching to the choir.

                  cheers

                  Bob
                  vk6pop

                  Message 8 of 16 , 25 Oct
                    Hi Bob,

                    No I haven't got any text.  if you choose to promote it on the VK6 Newswest broadcast, I am happy for you to do that.

                    You can get more info from......

                    Regards,

                    Paul VK5PAS.
                  • Grant McDuling
                    Message 9 of 16 , 25 Oct

                      Hi Paul,

                      The weather seems to be settling down here in Brisbane at last, so I can plan my VKFF Activation Weekend. I plan to be active in the Glass House Mountains National Park VKFF-0200 sometime that weekend. I will firm up dates and times closer to the time when I have a better idea of what the weather is doing. I will post my intentions on the usual web sites.

                      Regards

                      Grant VK4JAZ

                      Author of QRP - The Zen of Amateur Radio
                      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T74ID7W

                      SOTA - Taking Amateur Radio to New Heights
                      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019H4LB66

                      Kelpie: A dog's view of life on an Australian Outback sheep station.
                      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UGZ3P9C

                        Message 11 of 16 , 1 Nov 12:32 am
                          Hi Bob,

                          I've just emailed you an audio file re the upcoming VKFF Activation Weekend for use on News West.

                          Cheers,

                          Paul VK5PAS
                        • vk5pas
                          Message 12 of 16 , 1 Nov 12:37 am
                            Hi Grant,

                            Just for your info, Rob VK4AAC has registered and is activating Glass House Mountains on Saturday.  However that doesn't exclude you from going there as well.  Just thought I'd let you know.

                            Don't forget all, that you can see what parks are being activated that weekend and by who, by checking out the WWFF Aust website, the WWFF Aust Facebook page, and in the files section of this group.

                            Also, don't forget to send me a quick email so I can add your details to the list.

                            Cheers,

                            Paul VK5PAS.
                          • Grant McDuling

                              Message 14 of 16 , 4 Nov 11:14 pm
                                On 26 Oct 2017 00:53:01 +0000
                                "simmopa@... [wwffaustralia]"
                                <wwffaustralia@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

                                > G'day all,
                                >

                                > So far 13 activators from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, & VK6 have registered
                                > to take part in the 2017 VKFF Activation Weekend to be held on.....
                                >

                                > Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th November 2017.

                                I have permission to camp in VKFF1269 Balowra SCA, a truly remote part
                                of NSW. This area has some up and down bits instead of being just flat
                                so the propagation could be enhanced.
                                It is over 4 hours drive from home, so we will leave home early on
                                Saturday and after travel, rest stops, and looking for a suitable camp
                                site with elevation and 4WD access it should be possible to get on air
                                mid afternoon. I doubt if there will be any phone access, but possible
                                as nearby Nymagee does have an active mine site.
                                Please spot me when I get on air.
                                Sometime on Sunday we will pack up and come home.

                                Liz
                                VK2XSE
                              • vk2jdl
                                Message 15 of 16 , 6 Nov 10:03 pm

                                  Hi Liz and the group

                                  I was out that way (Gilgunnia, just south of Nymagee) in September last year, had 3 bars of 3G from my mountain top of SOAT VK2/LW-005 peak.  Also was very wet out there, water across the road etc on the Kidman Highway, but I doubt it will be like that now

                                  Take care & good hunting on the weekend

                                  Phil VK2JDL

                                • Liz
                                  Message 16 of 16 , 6 Nov 10:31 pm
                                    On 07 Nov 2017 06:03:49 +0000
                                    "pclancy64@... [wwffaustralia]"
                                    <wwffaustralia@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

                                    > Hi Liz and the group
                                    >

                                    > I was out that way (Gilgunnia, just south-WEST of Nymagee) in
                                    > September last year, had 3 bars of 3G from my mountain top of SOAT
                                    > VK2/LW-005 peak. Also was very wet out there, water across the road
                                    > etc on the Kidman Highway, but I doubt it will be like that now
                                    >
                                    > Take care & good hunting on the weekend
                                    >

                                    > Phil VK2JDL

                                    1. It won't be that wet
                                    2. If its wet its off because Cobar Shire closes all dirt roads when it
                                    rains.
                                    3. As far as phone goes, I don't have anything that runs Telstra 3G,
                                    unless my international SIM roams onto Telstra (which it usually
                                    doesn't).
                                    4. Some years ago I got water in my diesel motor on that road, bent a
                                    cam but managed to get the motor started and driven back home. Not a
                                    cheap repair. I am well aware of the risks in that country.

                                    Liz