Budj Bim National Park - name change

  • vk5pas
    Message 1 of 4 , 13 Apr 12:35 am

      The Andrews Labor Government has officially changed the name of Mt Eccles National Park to Budj Bim National Park, restoring the Aboriginal name and recognising the area’s Aboriginal history and significance.

      I have changed the name on the WWFF Australia website and also on the Logsearch database. It should appear in the next release of the WWFF Directory.

      More information can be found at.....

    • Ron VK3AFW
      Message 2 of 4 , 13 Apr 12:46 am
        Fans of the Goon Show will not be happy.  There is some doubt as to the accuracy of aboriginal place names due to early translations being poor and memories of those currently alive being ditto.  Eccles was entirely accurate.

        73
        Ron
        VK3AFW
        Goon Show tragic.

        Message 3 of 4 , 13 Apr 12:52 am
          Hi Ron,

          I just missed you at Antennapalooza on Sunday.  You were driving in as I was driving out with Tony VK3XV.

          Happy Easter,

          Paul VK5PAS.
        • Ron VK3AFW
          Message 4 of 4 , 14 Apr 6:05 pm
            Hi All,

            This park has some interesting geology and flora. It has significance to aboriginals and a long history of human activity.  The high point of the volcano rim is sadly not SOTA prominent but appears to have retained it’s name as Mt Eccles.  There are some easy short walks around the crater lake and quite a few unsealed roads to traverse.  There was a tower adjacent to the road loop in the Eastern part of the park.  Portland is the nearest large town.

            Worth a visit if in the area.

            73
            Ron
            VK3AFW