Lawari Conservation Park

  • vk5pas
    Message 1 of 5 , 13 Apr 12:49 am

      Thankyou to Greg VK5GJ for pointing out that we have a new Conservation Park in South Australia. It is the Lawari Conservation Park and was gazetted on 21st March 2017.

      I have just added it to the WWFF Directory and it is currently awaiting approval with the reference of VKFF-1767.

      I have also sent off an email to Allen VK3ARH to have a 5CP number allocated.

      I have just spoken with DEWNR staff and confirmed that the park is located on Hindmarsh Island near the mouth of the Murray River.

      It is an important breeding ground for Magpie Geese.

      73 & 44,

      Paul,
      VK5PAS

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , 13 Apr 3:13 pm
        Hi Paul,
        thanks to Greg and you for spreading the word. I have been doing some
        research on that part of Hindmarsh Island and will be most interested to
        see if any of the Wyndgate land has been included in the Park. See my
        blog for a discussion of the 'stolen' park! I have not been able to find
        a map but did see the notice of proclamation. I hope DEWNR can get a map
        out soon!
        Well done and a new one for you soon I reckon.

        We will be setting off today and heading for Victoria. I hope I can keep
        reasonably well. I will be doing some activations including the Snowy
        Mountains NP, the last remaining East Gippsland park to activate for me.
        I hope also to get to a few on the Eastern side of Melbourne. I will let
        you know closer to the events.

        Cheers

        John D
        VK5BJE/VK5PF
      • vk5pas
        Message 3 of 5 , 18 Apr 9:55 pm
          Hi John,

          Have had a read of your blog with interest.

          Bob VK5AFZ headed out the other day to activate this park.  He operated from near Sugars Beach.

          When I found out about the park the other day through Greg, I telephoned DEWNR and they were very unclear of details re the park except to say it was on Hindmarsh Island near the Murray Mouth and was the old Wyndgate property.

          I have checked Location SA Viewer and the park is not showing there yet.

          I have found a few references on the internet stating that the Wyndgate property was going to eventually be protected as part of the Coorong National Park.  And yet other sites state 'proposes to proclaim it as a Conservation park in the future'.  There is also a document entitled 'Wyndgate Plan 2017 to 2026' but no mention of Lawari in the document.

          I will  keep an eye on Location SA Viewer and hopefully the boundaries will show up there soon.

          Cheers,

          Paul
          VK5PAS
        • vk5bje@...
          Message 4 of 5 , 19 Apr 2:19 am
            Thanks Paul
            I thought that part, at least, of the Wingate property would go into the new park. I also think that giving it a
            new name even thought it's joins the Corryong NP at the river's edge, is a good idea. Thanks for your detective
            work. I enjoyed checking the place out and wished I had had the courage to drive into Wingate!
            Cheers
            John D
            VK5BJE/VK5PF

            On Wed, Apr 19th, 2017 at 2:55 PM, "simmopa@... [wwffaustralia]"
            <wwffaustralia@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

            > Hi John,
            >
            > Have had a read of your blog with interest.
            >

            > Bob VK5AFZ headed out the other day to activate this park. He operated
            > from near Sugars Beach.
            >

            > When I found out about the park the other day through Greg, I telephoned
            > DEWNR and they were very unclear of details re the park except to say it
            > was on Hindmarsh Island near the Murray Mouth and was the old Wyndgate
            > property.
            >

            > I have checked Location SA Viewer and the park is not showing there yet.
            >

            > I have found a few references on the internet stating that the Wyndgate
            > property was going to eventually be protected as part of the Coorong
            > National Park. And yet other sites state 'proposes to proclaim it as a
            > Conservation park in the future'. There is also a document entitled
            > 'Wyndgate Plan 2017 to 2026' but no mention of Lawari in the document.
            >

            > I will keep an eye on Location SA Viewer and hopefully the boundaries
            > will show up there soon.
            >

            > Cheers,
            >

            > Paul
            > VK5PAS

          • vk5pas
            Message 5 of 5 , 19 Apr 10:23 pm
              Hi John,

              I've placed a map and an aerial image of the park on the VK5 Parks Award Facebook site.

              Cheers,

              Paul VK5PAS.