Park access troubles in NSW

  • Liz
    Message 1 of 5 , 5 Aug 10:01 pm
      I've been composing a letter to the CEO of the organisation responsible
      for NSW NPWS, to open discussion on the problems with park access and
      the paucity of information available on park access.

      If anyone wants to know the contents, the main part is appended.
      If you want to whinge - sorry - add to the discussion, please alter the
      letter. Carbon copy letters get disregarded in politics, but even a
      small group writing individual letters looks like a bigger campaign.

      You could mention that your radio contacts can't get into parks for you
      to talk with them if you are out of VK2
      If travelled lots of places you could explain that elsewhere is
      better / easier
      You might have a particular park you tried once to get near and failed.
      You might have more ideas for policy improvements in the area.
      Try some personal touches, because this will add to our chances of
      success.

      Liz
      VK2XSE
    • jandgandjochem
      Message 2 of 5 , 6 Aug 1:30 pm
        Just a few points for thought re. this subject:

        1. Should we try to get the WIA involved?

        2. Ideas which will bring a benefit to NPWS such as reporting anything that needs reporting?

        3. Convincing them that we only leave foot prints behind.

        4. What if your Lithium battery goes up in flames...bring a fire extinguisher, fire blanket. I would.

        5. In some NPWS management plans they indicate to make access possible for people with special interest such as bird watching, studying flora and fauna etc. From that angle we could be included.

        I think this whole issue needs a brainstorm from interested amateurs and then coming up with a well written submission.

        Gerard VK2JNG
      • VK3AFW
        Message 3 of 5 , 6 Aug 4:40 pm
          Hi Gerard,

          A good topic to raise for ventilation and possible action.  My 5c worth follows.

          1. Should we try to get the WIA involved?
          YES, but only after you have a detailed submission for them to put forward.  They rely on volunteers like you to do the work.

          2. Ideas which will bring a benefit to NPWS such as reporting anything that needs reporting?
          Good, need to give some examples. What would their officers report on after a field visit.  We could do the same using an email proforma.

          3. Convincing them that we only leave foot prints behind.
          A point well worth making.You can tell them that’s what we do but whether that will convince them I’m not sure.

          4. What if your Lithium battery goes up in flames...bring a fire extinguisher, fire blanket. I would.
          Now lets be realistic.  I’ve never seen a walk-in SOTA activator take a fire extinguisher or fire blanket.  All that can be expected is that the battery be treated as a potential camp fire.  Don’t put it on flammable material, keep it away from flammable material, horizontally and vertically.  The same applies for drive in activations although there should be a fire extinguisher in the vehicle which might be suitable.  Most SOTA batteries contain less energy than half a briquette so basic precautions will suffice in the unlikely event the battery ignites.  It is incumbent on us all, regardless of the battery type, to use proper connectors (no clip leads please) and wiring that is in good condition when in the bush.  Any battery can start a fire.

          5. In some NPWS management plans they indicate to make access possible for people with special interest such as bird watching, studying flora and fauna etc. From that angle we could be included.
          There isn’t a link I can see here.  Please explain.
          If you were to take photo’s of the flora and fauna and get them published with a few nice words about the NPWS and the radio activation was just a tack on to tell friends you were OK that might be accepted.  A bit of a stretch even if half of the reason for going is the outdoor experience.

          I think this whole issue needs a brainstorm from interested amateurs and then coming up with a well written submission.
          Agreed.  Will you accept being nominated as Secretary?

          73
          Ron
          VK3AFW
        • jandgandjochem
          Message 4 of 5 , 7 Aug 6:41 pm
            Hi Ron,

            No I would not accept that nomination. My English language is ok but it is my second language.

            There are people on this forum who can write much better composed letters then I can.

            However, I have a great interest in this matter and am willing to assist where I can.

            Gerard VK2JNG
          • VK3AFW
            Message 5 of 5 , 7 Aug 8:32 pm
              You write very well Gerard, but yes there should be others who could do the job.

              73
              Ron
              VK3AFW