Valid contacts

  • vk5pas
    Message 1 of 5 , 8 Oct 9:25 pm

      Hi all,

      I didn't want to have to post this, but PLEASE remember that for a contact in VKFF to be valid, the exchange of call signs and a signal report are required.

      Call signs and signal reports are not to be relayed by other stations. Doing so, makes the contact void.

      I've heard a few questionable contacts of late myself, and have had this issue raised with me, thus the reason for this post.

      VKFF activators, please do not log the contact unless the threshold above has been met.

      Many thanks,

      Paul VK5PAS

    • . .
      Message 2 of 5 , 9 Oct 1:23 am
        Thanks for the contact today Paul.

        The vk2 kml file on the  wwffaustralia page just shows lines of text.

        Regards, Grant vk2gel

        I didn't want to have to post this, but PLEASE remember that for a contact in VKFF to be valid, the exchange of call signs and a signal report are required.

        Call signs and signal reports are not to be relayed by other stations. Doing so, makes the contact void.

        I've heard a few questionable contacts of late myself, and have had this issue raised with me, thus the reason for this post.

        VKFF activators, please do not log the contact unless the threshold above has been met.

        Many thanks,

        Paul VK5PAS

      • vk3pf
        Message 3 of 5 , 9 Oct 2:00 am
          Hi Grant,

          Good to catch up on air today from both Parks.

          Did you get the correct file? Try:
          http://parksnpeaks.org/files/VKFF-VK2.kmz

          It works for me: in both Google Earth and in Garmin BaseCamp.

          Regards,

          Peter VK3PF

          Message 4 of 5 , 9 Oct 6:28 am
            Hi Grant,

            Just opened the file here on 2 different computers and it is working perfectly fine, so I'm not sure what is happening at your end.

            I will try a 3rd computer tomorrow morning.

            73,

            Paul VK5PAS.
          • Andrew Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , 9 Oct 10:52 am
              The problem described by Grant could be due to not having any suitable program associated with KMZ files, such as Google Earth, installed on the computer. A KMZ file is a zipped KML file, and a zipped file does look like odd characters when opened in notepad or other file viewer. The KML file is a set of data describing points, lines and so on, in terms of starting points and ending points on a map. Without the mapping software it is meaningless. With the mapping software, double-clicking the KMZ or KML file results in a map being displayed with outlined shapes on it.

              Any chance that's the problem, Grant?

              73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

              --
              Andrew VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass